Lead Research Economist
African Development Bank - Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, todas as provincias
Under the general supervision of the Director the incumbent’s Duties and Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Provide critical and intellectual oversight on strategic work program of the department including :
Quality assurance: by working closely with Division Managers, review key knowledge products of the department and provide technical support to achieve rigor, clarity and credibility.
Oversee the quality of working papers series, journal publications (African Development Review) and flagships by leading peer review and editorial committees.
Assess technical capacity of the research team in the department and ensure they are strengthened as needed.
2. Conduct research in the areas supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)).
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
Provide input into Country Strategy Papers (CSPs).
Participate in Economic Sector Works (ESW).
Peer review project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
4. Coordinate the production of Bank Economic Intelligence documents:
Provide economic intelligence (statement, policy briefs) to Senior Management on economic development issues.
5. Contribute knowledge in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series " and the Bank’s "African Development Review":
Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
6. Participate in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
A Master’s Degree in Economics or related discipline. PhD is a strong advantage.
A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in development research, or related area.
Proven ability to build and lead a team in interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, a very good team spirit valuing mutual respect as well as regular and open communication;
Strong publication record in international peer reviewed journals.
Track record of policy dialogue, advocacy, and capacity building.
Relevant professional experience in development policy research and analysis of economic conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas).
Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda and notes to inform project design.
Strong knowledge and experience in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in development economics research; theoretical knowledge to develop and implement research programs; ability to design and manage research projects from conceptualization to publication.
Demonstrable experience and ability to initiate exciting and innovative research projects with no supervision
Strong written and oral communication skills as well as mature interpersonal and professional relationships.
Established reputation in well-known research networks and ability to broker knowledge through partnerships, collaborations and networks.
Ability to communicate and represent management in different committees both internal and external
Proficient in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda.
Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
For this position team work skills are critical: ability to work in interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, contribute constructive comments and receive positively the views of team members on own work. Ability to work with colleagues in other Complexes, especially in Operations
African Development Bank is in the process of accepting applications for several posts advertised on their website.
Interested Nationals of SADC Member States are encouraged to apply for these posts and future posts that will arise at AfDB. Frequent visits to the AfDB website is encouraged.
Please note that deadlines for applications for some posts are very close.